Given the dynamic nature of IT and associated security threats, Network Security Audits have become a key method for company executives to evaluate – on an ongoing basis – how secure their networks and data really are.
A good Network Security Audit is both systematic and measurable. It reveals the true effectiveness of an organization's security policies and procedures. When audits are conducted with regular frequency, improvement in network security can be charted for compliance and financial purposes; deterioration in network security can be identified and appropriate steps taken to remediate the problem.
Emerald tailors its Network Security Audits for each client. We evaluate only the areas of concern to you. Using personal interviews, vulnerability scans, examination of operating system settings, analyses of network shares and historical data, we assess your security policies and how well your organization follows them.
Among other things, Emerald’s security audits can assess the following:
- Are passwords difficult to crack? Are they changed on a regular basis?
- Are there controls in place to restrict who has access to sensitive data?
- Are there system logs to record who accesses sensitive data?
- Are the system logs reviewed on a regular basis?
- Are security settings for operating systems in accordance with accepted industry security practices?
- Have all unnecessary applications and computer services been eliminated for each system?
- Are licenses and maintenance contracts for operating systems and software applications accurate and up to date?
- Are all operating systems and software applications patched to current levels?
- How is backup media stored? Who has access to it? Is it current?
- Is there a disaster recovery plan? Have the participants and stakeholders ever rehearsed the disaster recovery plan?
- Is sensitive data properly encrypted, both in transit and at rest?
- Are configuration and code changes documented at every level? How are these records reviewed and who conducts the review?
As your organization evolves, so will your network security. For this reason, a Network Security Audit is not a one-time task but an ongoing effort to improve data security. Emerald’s experienced staff of network security auditors can measure your company’s network security posture and provide an analysis of the effectiveness of your security policies and practices within the context of your organization's structure, objectives and activities.
Contact us to find out more about and how Emerald’s Network Security Audits can improve your organization’s security posture and reduce your overall risk.